Friday, June 20, 2008

A Summer Day in Katieland

I got to say that I love rediscovering preverbal Katieland. June is especially precious because all those things I push aside during the school year re-emerge one at a time. Moving at a slower, more deliberate pace to experience those things comes back pretty quickly. This morning after I read the paper and my regular rotation of blogs, Mike and I settled on our counter top (for our house remodel). After I redid a load of laundry that smelled funky and read a book in the sunshine. Then as I was weeding the side garden, I glanced over and noticed how shaggy Coach was looking and gave him a brushing. His fur accumulated in billowy clumps around both of us, as I imagined how the happy little birds would settle into their comfy nests lined with his orange and white fur. Later I know Mike and I will grill some food; the kids will be here.

This is summer in Katieland. It might vary a little, but essentially it's what we want it to be. It's never what it has to be, but what we choose. Different people will be added to the mix. We'll see our best friends, the Bucks several times, and I will certainly comment on how long I waited over the winter to lay on their on lawn to see the golden light peak through the trees and illuminate our families. When the snow piled over my head in March, I struggled to wrap my mind around how these moments would come to be. There was so much snow and never enough sunshine. Summer is all about regaining your faith that ALL will be as it's supposed to be. Freedom presents itself and you go outside with shorts and a tank top. A second cup of coffee every morning and an ice coffee each afternoon. This is Katieland.

2 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

That was a very beautiful phrase--we are looking forward to you laying on the lawn. If it ever stops raining, of course...

Beth said...

Hi Katie, I love your blog! Happy summer and enjoy the renovations.