Monday, April 5, 2010

Magical Monday


At the elementary school I worked at a few years ago, I chose adjectives to describe each day of the week and I'd write it on the morning message each day. In typical first grade fashion, we had magical Mondays, terrific Tuesdays, wacky Wednesdays (because the students arrived an hour later, so teachers could attend meetings and engage in professional development), thrilling Thursdays and fun Fridays. Although there came a time when I stopped using the adjectives, Mondays remain my favorite day of the school week.

Mondays anchor my students with familiarity on a day when they are rested. If I could duplicate Mondays and have five of them each week I would in a minute. I wonder if I am the only member of the magical Monday fan club?

2 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

I do not trust my answer on this Monday :)

ChiTown Girl said...

OMG, I do the exact same thing! I have a message board that I keep on a table right outside my classroom, so it's the first thing my babies see when they come to the room. I try not to repeat the same adjective, which is almost impossible, so we've had some pretty goofy welcome messages. One of my worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) was "Welcome to a Sore-THroat THursday! Mrs. L. has a sore throat, so we'll try hard to not make her raise her voice." I know, pitiful, right? But, it worked, if you can believe it. They are so sweet at that age. :)